As unbelievable as it is, we are once again out of hot water. A repairman came to fix it yesterday, and we were told that he would be sending someone today to fix it. A different man came today, fixed a leaky pipe in our boiler, and said he knew what the problem was but would return tomorrow with parts to fix it. Apparently our boiler isn't burning enough gas to heat the water.
Beyond that, our Valentine's Day was practically like any other day. While Sarah, Christina, and I say through "Greenland", a horrible play we needed to see for class, Andrea and Casey were being electrocuted by our washing machine back in the flat.
Disclaimer: Casey and Andrea were just fine. Their hands and feet just started tingling a little after the washer started leaking whilst the power was still on.
Prior to the show and the lesson on electrical systems, yesterday was generally a good day. I got a good amount of writing done for class, then toured the National Gallery with friends and saw the real versions of paintings we've been studying. I will say, the National Gallery is quite the place! I could spend hours there.
Even that had to end, though, and I had exhausted the Gallery with over 2 hours to go until I met Christina. Not wanting to hop the tube back home, then brave it again at rush hour, I took full advantage of the beautiful, un-London-like weather and went exploring on my own.
I walked from Trafalgar, down to the river, then to Parliament for some photos of the Eye, Elizabeth Tower (Big Ben), and the Parliament building itself. I eventually made my way back to Trafalgar, grabbed a drink from Nero's, and set off to find China Town.
Disclaimer: Casey and Andrea were just fine. Their hands and feet just started tingling a little after the washer started leaking whilst the power was still on.
Prior to the show and the lesson on electrical systems, yesterday was generally a good day. I got a good amount of writing done for class, then toured the National Gallery with friends and saw the real versions of paintings we've been studying. I will say, the National Gallery is quite the place! I could spend hours there.
Even that had to end, though, and I had exhausted the Gallery with over 2 hours to go until I met Christina. Not wanting to hop the tube back home, then brave it again at rush hour, I took full advantage of the beautiful, un-London-like weather and went exploring on my own.
I walked from Trafalgar, down to the river, then to Parliament for some photos of the Eye, Elizabeth Tower (Big Ben), and the Parliament building itself. I eventually made my way back to Trafalgar, grabbed a drink from Nero's, and set off to find China Town.
Like many other attractions in London, I've been to China Town before, but with my friends leading the way. I was able to find it after a short while, and treated myself to a steamed pork roll, before exploring more. Since I was going to meet Christina at her internship (located off an arcade behind Her Majesty's Theatre, where Phantom plays), I decided that I should see Piccadilly, which is nearby.
When I say Piccadilly is 'nearby' I mean walk two blocks up the hill and you're there. I've never been to times square (or NYC for that matter) so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it was pretty cool. There's a statue of Eros, a huge LCD display, and Ripley's Believe-It-Or-Not Museum. I'll save another day for a trip there, I think. There was also a man, dressed/painted entirely gold who was doing some living sculpture. He wasn't as good as some I've seen - he was sitting down, lounging against a light pole and merely moving his arms when money was dropped in his bowl- but I still appreciated his dedication..
I finally met Christina, and we walked back through Trafalgar and across the river to the National Theatre to see Greenland. On the way there, a man approached me and, I think, asked me out. All I understood was "something something something, date with you," so I said no and walked away pretty quickly. Guys here are a lot more open in looking at women and whatnot, so I think that's somewhat standard, but still weird. Yet another aspect of the culture that I am very much not used to.
Finally we arrived at the National, and found are seats, which were quite far back in the theatre. However, with only 40% of the tickets sold, the ushers had us move forward. Somehow in this process, I managed to trip and fall down 6 or 7 (shallow) stairs. Physically I'm fine, but the embarrassment of falling down a flight of stairs for no good reason is going to stick around a while. I'll take consolation in the fact that at least I'm not an actor in the show. It was so bad that I wouldn't want to be associated with it.
Anyway, that was my Valentine's Day. I hope everyone else's day went well, and that their dwellings always have heat and hot water. As always, if you've experienced these troubles, or want to laugh with me, please let me know below!
24 years. by the way.
ReplyDeleteThe National Gallery is boring?!?!? That's one of my favorite museums, Liz! ; )
ReplyDeleteIsn't London just the best city to walk around in? I love Trafalgar and I thank you for those photos. I love standing in front of the National Gallery and taking in the sight in front. It has some of the best people watching.
I would suggest going back to Piccadilly on a Saturday night, when it gets warmer. Lots of fun!
I have done the London Eye and you should take a spin on that....great views from the top. I am impressed, Liz, that you ventured out and explored. It's one of my favorite things to do.
I would also suggest going to Greenwich to see the Royal Observatory. You can take the Docklands Light Railway, which is accessed via the Tube. It's an automated line and will dump you off at the tunnel.....where you walk under the Thames to get to the other side at Greenwich. Or you can take the river boats from Westminster Pier. It's very cool and has some amazing views of London from the top of the hill. You really have a lot to do before you come home!
Oh, yeah.....make sure you venture and explore the City of London and all the little, itty-bitty streets from the ancient city. That is one of the highlights of the city. The "Official London Walks" do a number of guided tours by the Blue Badge guides and they are awesome. There is even the remains of a Roman building...the Temple of Mithras. Oh, God...I could go on and on! ; )
Thank you for all the piccies...keep them coming!